How to Stay Fit While Traveling
By Dina Barela
It can seem almost impossible sometimes to maintain your fitness goals while traveling or going on vacation! While it usually includes plenty of sitting, relaxing and the constant temptation of delicious and fattening foods, there are also plenty of ways to prevent from completely blowing your diet and finding fun ways to stay on track and maintain your fitness goals.
•Walk! Walking will help you stay on track with your fitness goals. Of course some places are very far and you will need that rental car, but if you can help it try to walk everywhere you go. Try taking the stairs and research hikes in the area you are traveling to. Hiking is not only a great way to keep in shape, but it is also great, because you get to see beautiful scenery that you would not have seen by driving and who doesn’t like to explore? So get those extra steps in!
• Many hotels have small gyms that you can take advantage of, so instead of sitting around watching movies in your free time or late at night when you cannot sleep go check out the gym. If they don’t have one then you can always bring your own yoga mat and resistance bands in your hotel room or go outside for a nice walk or jog. Don’t forget to stay hydrated!
• Avoid unhealthy foods. Pack your healthy snacks, like raw nuts, oatmeal, protein bars, fill containers with your favorite protein powder and bring a shaker bottle with you. Maybe try to plan ahead before the trip to see what restaurants serve healthy meals. Find hotels that are close to those restaurants, so it is easier for you. No candy and chips from the gas station convenient stores! Make sure you also bring lots of water with you. Having a reusable water bottle can help save you money too.
• Only eat when you are hungry! This can be hard to do when you are bored in the car or on the plane, but it is important that you are not over eating. Eating healthy snacks is helpful, but even then you do not want to over eat or eat all the food you had planned for the next day too. This is also a great tip for when you’re not traveling.
• Many hotels have pools. Swimming is a great way to stay in shape and it is fun!
• Try going on guided tours that involve lots of walking. This is good, because you can get in your cardio and exercise while learning about new things and having fun.
Infinite Labs West Coast Sales Director
NPC Fitness Competitor
Flex Bikini Model
Published Fitness Model